Selvedges, old Quilts and Transfer Dyeing.Posted: December 27, 2010
This little stool belonged to my mother. It was a dingy brown and in a bad state of repair. I made the fabric using the selvedges and the quilt-as-you-go method. The legs were painted white using Porters paints sample pots. People give me selvedges to use, I have made a lot of small sewing pouches, thread holders, needle books and small things from them. If you want to give me your selvedges I need to have the writing plus half an inch of the fabric for them to be useful. When I have a large collection I sort through them and make something, but you need quite a lot so that you can sort through properly, try not to use the same brand or story next to each other. Sometimes I have enough to sort them by colour! This stool is the biggest thing I have made with selvedges, but I really need a quick lesson in upholstery. I have another stool to do, which my eldest daughter wants!
This next quilt is one I made in 2007. I had seen colour washes done in Australia and did not really like the bows and flowers and two-inch square effects. After studying Japanese quilts in many Patchwork Quilt Tsu Shin’s I decided to use this method. I had been given a lot of decorator samples which were all 100% cotton, and I found enough to make the blocks, so only had to buy the border fabric. The light or washed out effect is purely by colour placement and I was very pleased with my result. This is one of the few quilts that I still actually have! It has a pieced back and was machine quilted by Lesley McNamara.
In the October/November issue of Quilting Arts Magazine there was an article by Kathy Barinholtz about Transfer dyeing using silk ties. In the madness of Christmas week I decided to have a try. I forgot to take some before photos however the first photo is the ties and silk habotai after boiling. The second photo is the silk before drying and ironing. I can see where colour placement could have been better but over all I call it a successful experiment and love the fabric. I did a smaller piece of silk chiffon as well which was also lovely. I would definitely do this again and have dried off the ties to re-use. Apparently you can do two or three transfers with them.
Also this week I had a play with the Crayola magic clay. I didn’t enjoy this as much and don’t think I will do any more with it. Towards the end of this play I did try using talc to help release the stamps and molds which made it a little more successful. I just don’t think I will use it very much and there are other things I would rather play with.
For Christmas I was lucky enough to receive a fabulous book called ‘Botany for the Artist’ by Sarah Simblet. It is wonderful and when I get up enough courage I will have a go at sketching some plants. In the meantime I have been preparing a Journal. It was a cheap one and I have learned my lesson – I am in the process of gluing every second page together and using masking and then gesso to the other pages. All so I can do some wet on wet sort of things without the paper balling!